Yes, you read it right. Mac and cheese is such a popular food, especially in America. The problem is that it contains so much dairy cheese which is so unhealthy for your body.
The good news is you can have a vegan version. Unfortunately, the vegan mac and cheese you can buy or eat at a restaurant, it’s considered vegan junk food, because they put so much oil in it, it can contain soy or vegan cheese (more oil!!). Also, the pasta is most of the time contain gluten, which is not a problem for a lot of people, but for some, it’s an issue.
The other version when it doesn’t really have oil in it, but it contains a lot of nuts (most of the time cashews). Well, this is a better way to make it, but it’s still a lot of fat, which is not good. Plus mixing protein (nuts) with starches (pasta) is not a good food combining. If you haven’t read my post about proper food combining, definitely check it out here.
In this recipe, there’s no oil or nuts added, the base of the “cheesy” cream is potatoes, sweet potatoes, and nutritional yeast.
People are so afraid to eat potatoes because they have been told they were going to make them fat. What they don’t realize is that it’s not the potatoes that make them gain weight, it’s the tons of butter and cheese they put on them or the tons of oils they use to fry them in.
“Potatoes are high in potassium and rich in vitamin B6, as well as a fantastic source of amino acids, especially lysine in its bioactive form. Lysine is a powerful weapon against cancers, liver disease, inflammation, and the viruses such as Epstein-Barr, and shingles, joint pain, autoimmune disease, and more.
Sweet potatoes promote productive bacteria in the stomach, small intestine, and colon, while at the same time , they starve out unproductive bacteria and fungi such as mold. (…)
Sweet potatoes are especially praised for being packed with carotenoids such as beta-carotene and lycopene, and rightfully so. These phytochemicals are extremely powerful. If you are fair and eat a sweet potato daily, before long you’ll see your skin take on a glow, as it’s been sun-kissed. The lycopene, combined with sweet potatoes abundant amino acids, is a recipe for drawing radiation from the body.”
Nutritional yeast contains a perfect combination of amino acids (protein) and B-vitamins. It has a lot of zinc, selenium, magnesium, manganese, and copper. It’s a good source of B12, which is important for nerve cell function. For vegans, it is recommended to ensure to get enough. It also has cheesy taste, that’s why it’s perfect for this recipe.
VEGAN, LOW-FAT MAC AND ChEESE
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 15-20 minutes Servings: 1-2
- 200 g (0,4 lb) brown rice penne (or any kind of pasta)
- 1/3 cup (80 g) frozen or fresh peas
- 1 1/2 cups (360 ml) cheese sauce
Cheese sauce (3 and 1/3 cups-900ml)
- 250 g (0,5 lb) potatoes
- 500 g (1,1 lb) sweet potatoes
- 1-2 celery stalk
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- himalyan pink salt or coconut aminos (optional)
- 140 g (0,3 lb) nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) oat or rice milk
- First, make the cheese sauce. I usually make a bigger batch, so I can enjoy the rest the next day with baked veggies, potatoes or just add it to my salad etc. To make the sauce cut the potatoes, sweet potatoes into small cubes, and cut the celery and the bell pepper into small pieces. Steam all the vegetables.
- Once they are completely done, transfer them into your high-speed blender with the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth. Try to keep your salt intake low, or I like to use coconut aminos to make it salty. It’s fat-free and low in sodium.
- Transfer the sauce into a glass jar or container and put it aside.
- Cook your pasta according to the instructions on the packaging.
- If you are using frozen peas, stem them for a few minutes.
- When the pasta is cooked, transfer it into a bowl and mix it with the peas and the sauce.
- You can eat it like this, or you can bake it for 20 minutes in the oven, in a nonstick pan on 176 C (350 degrees F). If you decide to bake it, sprinkle some nutritional yeast on the top.
- Serve it with a salad or just eat it by itself.